Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

grilled chicken and potato salad (healthy)





O.K. so is everyone as sick of hot dogs and hamburgers as I am....ok so I am not sick of hot dogs because I LUV then...but here is a recipe for a great chicken marinade (courtesy of my mom) and a low fat Potato Salad, which I modified from a cooking light recipe I found a long long time ago!

Garlic Rosemary Marinade for Chicken

1/2 C fresh lemon juice
1/4 C plus 2 Tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp minced rosemary (fresh)
2 Tbsp Fleur de sel (which I think is fancy for sea salt)
2 Tbsp Cracked black pepper

Mix all ingredients together and marinade chicken for 20 minutes. I think my mom used about 2 lbs. chicken breasts. Cook on the grill until no longer pink inside.



Creamy Dijon Potato Salad

2 and 1/2 lb. med size red potatoes
1/4 C scallions, sliced thin (green part only)
1/2 C. low fat mayo (Hellmans only!)
1/4 C plain low fat greek yogurt
1/4 C. low fat sour cream
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp prepared mustard ( I used a french dijon, use what you have on hand)
1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar (or apple cidar vinegar)
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp pepper
2 C chopped celery

Cut potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces (leave skins on). Place in large pan and add water to cover. Bring to boil (I usually salt the water). Simmer 20 minutes approx (or until potatoes are tender). Drain. While potatoes are cooking, mix dressing ingredients in small bowl. Combine mayo through pepper and whisk together until combined. Add celery and scallions and fold in. Toss with potatoes gently until coated. I do this while the potatoes are warm still, because they absorb some of the dressing and it makes it more flavorful I think. Cover and chill. I like to make this the night before, because then it is chilled fully and I feel like it tastes better the next day. You can serve it the same day, but I would chill for at least 4 hours. Makes 8-10 servings

No comments: