Monday, October 12, 2009
I was looking for a healthy Zucchini Bread...looked at a bunch of recipes and this is what I came up with. I am proud of myself, because I am not good at making up recipes for baked goods. This came out great. Was not too sweet, if you would like it sweeter, add 1/2 cup more brown sugar. I thought it came out great. Healthy, moist and tasty!
Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 C vegetable (or canola) oil
4 oz (1/2 C) cinnamon apple sauce
1 and 1/2 C light brown sugar
3 C grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 C chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Mix eggs, oil, applesauce, brown sugar, zucchini and vanilla extract in large bowl. In separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in walnuts.
Pour into loaf pan until filled halfway. This will leave you with a little more batter. I made 5 muffins out of it. Place loaf and muffins in oven. Take muffins out after about 20-25 min (until a toothpick inserted comes out clean). Cook the bread for an additional 70-75 minutes. Until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan and then remove.
Not sure if this is authentic, there were so many different recipes. I put one together using what ingredients I thought were in it and that I liked. Adjust the amount of jalepeno if you do not like it spicy...I used 1 whole one, and it was pretty spicy.
Filet Mignon with Chimichurri Sauce
2 (3-4 oz) Filet Mignon Steaks
Cook until desired doneness and top with Chimichurri sauce.
2 C fresh flat leaf Parsley
1 and 1/4 C fresh Cilantro
1 Jalepeno, roughly chopped (if you do not like it too spicy, use 1/2)
1 tsp sea salt
Juice and zest from 1 lime
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 T red wine vinegar
Put all ingredients in food processor and blend until the consistency of pesto. Usually there are onions in this, I forgot to buy them, so I left them out...if you want to use them, I would use 2 small or 1 large shallot.
This was a Wegman's recipe...I almost followed it to a "T" but I had to make some changes ( ;
It was really delish! Great fall recipe...and before you say, "I dont like escarole." Neither do I, but it was great in this recipe...I am publishing this just as it was written (with my additions in parenthesis). It uses pre-prepped veggies and stuff...you will have to improvise if you do not have Wegman's near you.
Harvest Whole Wheat Pasta with Escarole & Butternut Squash
2 Tbsp Pine Nuts (toasted)
1/2 box Whole Wheat Fusilli (I used Wegman's brand) prepared per pkg directions, keep warm
1 pkg (20 oz) Cleaned and Cut Butternut Squash, cut into 3/4 inch dice
1/2 red onion, peeled, 1/2 inch dice (1 1/2 cups)
1 Tbsp Wegmans Basting Oil (or another oil with garlic and herbs)
salt and pepper
1 pkg (15 oz) Fresh Chopped Escarole
1 pkg (4 oz) Citterio Mini Cubes recipe ready pancetta
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C dry white wine
1 (13 oz) container Wegmans Italian Classics Alfredo Sauce
1/4 C grated parmesan
Red pepper flakes to taste
2 Tbsp Shredded Parmesano Reggiano Cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1. Toss Squash and onions with basting oil ( I needed a little more than 1 Tbsp) in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spread in single layer on baking sheet. Roast 20 min (took me more like 35-40 min). Until vegetables are carmelized and tender. Stir frequently.
2. Blanch escarole 2-3 minutes in lg pot of salted boiling water. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water. Drain well and set aside.
3. Saute Pancetta in skillet with a small bit of olive oil on Medium. Cook, stirring, 3-5 minutes, until crisp and brown. Remove from pan, drain on paper towels. Return to pan. Add garlic, cook stirring 1-2 minutes until tender.
4. Add wine. Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits on bottom of pan. simmer about 4 minutes, until liquids are reduced by half. Stir in alfredo sauce. (Add 1/4 C parmesan and red pepper flakes)
5. Bring to simmer, add escarole and black pepper to taste. Stir to blend. Add pasta, toss until well combined. Stir in squash and onions then pine nuts..top with remaining shredded parmesan cheese.