Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Turkey Meatballs in the Crockpot



I have to say honestly these meatballs are the best I have had. Ive really been on the search for great meatballs...the taste and texture of these are so great. Also, if you do not have the time to cook them in the crockpot, you can bake them and put them in sauce and simmer.*****I just edited this recipe to alter the amount of oatmeal/breadcrumbs...the mixture was a little wet the first time, so I added more breadcrumbs, the next time I added more oatmeal....the oatmeal was an experiment and I liked it so much that I changed the recipe. This is a sneaky way to get fiber, and you can omit the breadcrumbs all together and use all oatmeal to make this gluten free ( :

Turkey Meatballs in the Crockpot

1/2 c milk (I used 1%)
1/2 C Italian bread crumbs
1/2 C oatmeal
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C fresh grated parmesan
1 egg
1/2 C fresh parsley, chopped fine
few dashes worchestershire sauce
20 oz ground turkey (I used Jennie O 93% lean)
salt and pepper

Sauce:
26 oz jar of your favorite marinara sauce
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 C white wine (I used Chardonnay....dont use red...white makes it very bright in flavor)
2 tsp sugar
2 cloves of garlic, minced

line crockpot with slow cooker liner.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. soak bread crumbs and oats in milk in a large bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix well. Wet hands and form into balls ( I did it about swedish meatball size). Place on nonstick foil on baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 15 min. (I ended up raising it to 375 for the last 5 minutes).

While meatballs are cooking, add marinara sauce, crushed tomatoes, white wine, sugar and garlic to crockpot and stir. Once meatballs are done, add to sauce mixture, give a slight stir and cook 3 hours on high. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

No comments: