Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

blueberry pecan french toast casserole

The original recipe came from Bon Appetit magazine, I have been making it for years and have made adjustments and simplified it a bit.  Here is the link to the original recipe:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Baked-Blueberry-Pecan-French-Toast-with-Blueberry-Syrup-101755
I am going to post the recipe as I modified it.  I added Cream cheese cubes to the casserole because....well....it is just right.

Blueberry Pecan French Toast Casserole

24 inch baguette
6 large eggs
3 C milk (I used 1%, original called for whole)
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg (use fresh, it is worth it)
1 tsp vanilla
1 C brown sugar, firmly packed
4 oz cream cheese cut into cubes
1 C pecans
1/2 stick (1/4 c) butter, unsalted
1 Cup fresh blueberries (original called for 2 C, I think that is too much)
** the original recipe calls for making blueberry syrup.  I think that is overkill on the blueberries.  I use regular maple syrup.

Line a 9x13 baking pan with non stick foil (or butter the pan, I find the foil is way easier!).  Cut 20 1 inch slices from baguette and arrange in one layer in baking dish. scatter cubed cream cheese over bread. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, vanilla, and 3/4 C brown sugar.  Pour evenly over bread and cream cheese.  Chill mixture, covered, overnight.


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Sprinkle pecans and blueberries over bread mixture.  Cut a 1/2 stick of butter into pieces and in a small saucepan heat with remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar until melted.  Drizzle over bread and bake mixture 35-40 minutes until bread is browned and mixture is bubbling.  Serve immediately with your favorite maple syrup

No comments: