Search This Blog

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Macaroni and Cheese with Jalepenos!!!



Muy Caliente! I have been wanting mac and cheese so bad lately and hubby likes spicy things, so do I, and I thought Jalepenos would be great, and they were. This is a really great mac and cheese recipe without the Jalepenos too (if I do say so)...I am the mac and cheese queen so I usually just put it together, this time I measured everything so I could put it in the blog...


Mac and Cheese Muy Caliente!


2 C uncooked elbow macaroni (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste to be healthy)

2 T butter
2 T flour
2 C milk (I used 1%)
4 oz Velveeta, cubed (makes it so creamy)
8 oz pkg Colby Jack, shredded (I find this melts the nicest)
salt to taste
2-3 large Jalepenos, sliced thin (more or less or none---all to your taste), plus a few slices for decorating the top

While making the sauce, Boil pasta according to directions on box, drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter over med heat and once melted add flour to make a roux. Cook roux until a golden color (whisking continuously) and until no flour smell remains. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Simmer milk until mixture coats a spoon. Add velveeta and stir until melted. Take off heat and add colby jack --reserve 3/4 C for sprinkling on top--(important to turn off heat, because if you leave the heat on the cheese can curdle--too hot). Stir until melted and add salt to taste. Keep on low. Saute Jalepenos in a pan for a few min until slightly tender. Add to cheese sauce. Add drained macaroni and stir. Put mac and cheese in casserole dish and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Layer a few more sliced Jalepenos on top to make it look pretty. Cover and place in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes. Please comment if you make it and tell me how it comes out!

No comments: