Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Three Mushroom Soup


This soup is so great!!! I got the original recipe from Wegmans which I will post here, and I will post any changes I made (in orange). I cannot believe that this soup is only 180 calories per cup!!!! So healthy. It calls for heavy cream, but it is very little compared to how many cups it makes. The original recipe makes 12 1/2 cups, so I halved it best I could. We had it with a nice salad....



Three-Mushroom Soup

yield 12 1/2 cups

2tsp and 6 Tbsp butter, divided ( I subbed 1 Tbsp butter with 1 Tbsp canola oil)
2 pkgs (8oz) baby portabella mushrooms (baby bella), reserve 1 Cup
1 med sweet onion, chopped, I used Mayan Sweet (it called for 8oz of prechopped onion that they sell)
3 Shallots, Chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (I would use more next time, was not enough)
2 pkg (5 oz) shitake mushrooms
1 pkg (3.5 oz) oyster mushrooms
1/2 C dry sherry (my addition)
6 Tbsp. flour
1 Carton (32 oz) Vegetable Stock (I would reserve 2 cups and add if too thick later)
1 Bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh thyme ( I used about a tsp dried)
salt and pepper to taste (I needed a lot of salt)
1/2 pint (8oz) heavy cream
Black Truffle Oil (for drizzling)**dont omit this, it is very necessary, I added a teeny bit to the soup too

1. Add 2 tsp butter to saute pan on MEDIUM. Add reserved cup of mushrooms. Cook, stirring, 3-5 minutes until browned and tender. Set aside for garnish.

2. Melt remaining 6 Tbsp butter in stockpot on MEDIUM. Add onions, shallots and cook, stirring 4 minutes until soft. Add garlic and cook another minute or so (do not brown).

3. Add remaining mushrooms. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes, until softened (I add dry sherry with the mushrooms). Add flour. Cook, stirring 2-3 minutes until thickened.

4. Add stock, bay leaf and fresh thyme. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer on MEDIUM about 20 minutes uncovered. Season to taste with salt and pepper (I needed a lot of both). Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs.

5. Lower heat and puree soup with immersion blender (love mine!). Stir in heavy cream. Adjust seasonings if necessary. ***I added some truffle oil here, maybe a tsp.

6. Ladle into soup bowls. Top each with a drizzle of black truffle oil and reserved mushrooms.

180 calories per cup!!!!

No comments: