Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

basic quiche recipe

So quiche is one of the most versatile things....great thing to do with leftover veggies and cheese (and meats).  There is a basic formula, and then you make it yours.  Here is the formula....Happy quiching!
Any questions please post to comments, I will answer them...I usually make quiche every week.

Quiche Formula

4 eggs (shameless plug here for The Happy Egg Company....my fave brand)
1 cup of half and half
1/2 C cheese of your choice, grated (I use closer to a cup bc I really like cheese)
1 C veggies (whatever combo you choose).  I like to saute veggies usually before adding
1/2 C meat (optional....if using meat...usually breakfast sausage, bacon or ham is what I recommend....obviously cook it first and, if needed, chop it up)
1 deep dish pie crust (I don't get all fancy, just buy the frozen store brand...or make your own if you are Martha Stewart).

Preheat oven to 350 F.  I leave crust out for about 20 min to thaw...then prick with fork and pre bake for about 10 min.  Saute any veggies until softened (or steam if it is broccoli.  If using tomatoes, no need to cook first, if using frozen spinach squeeze all liquid out of it first).  Cook meat if using.  I usually layer meat and veggies in the crust...then 3/4 of the cheese, and egg and half and half whisked together.  Top with remaining 1/4 c of cheese.  Bake 50-60 min or until a knife inserted into the quiche comes out clean.
**PS if you have an A&P near you, I HIGHLY recommend their store brand of frozen deep dish pie crust.  Very good and very inexpensive.

No comments: