Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2014

Sour Cream Apple Crumb Pie

So....sour cream is my favorite condiment of all time, I can eat it right out of the container (don't judge).  So when I found an apple pie recipe that had sour cream in the filling I had to try it.  The original recipe I found on pinterest, but upon further research, found a few different versions, so I came up with what worked for me.  It is absolutely delicious! I may never make apple pie another way again. The sour cream mixture makes a custard, and also cuts the sweetness down a little on the pie.  If you have a big sweet tooth you may have to adjust the sugar amount, but it was just right for me.  I don't mess around with pastry and pie crust, so I used a frozen deep dish pie crust (honestly the A&P brand is one of the best ones I have tried and they are cheap....but if you must make your own, go ahead).  I thawed the crust out for about 15 min on the counter and then pricked it all over with a fork and pre baked for about 10-12 min, at 400 degrees until it is very slightly golden.  I think I actually did it for exactly 11 minutes.....this is to prevent sogginess.

Sour Cream Apple Crumb Pie

1 frozen, deep dish pie crust, thawed on counter and prebaked (see above directions)
2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C sugar
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (I used fresh)
few shakes of ground cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups apples, peeled and thinly sliced (I used 4 apples, Golden Delicious)
2/3 C all purpose flour
2/3 C sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
6 Tbsp unsalted butter (do not soften), cut into cubes

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and prebake pie crust (see directions above ingredients list).  Meanwhile, stir together 2 Tbsp flour, salt, 3/4 C sugar, nutmeg and few shakes cinnamon in a  bowl.  In another bowl combine egg, sour cream and vanilla extract, stir well until fully combined.  Add egg mixture to dry mixture and fold in sliced apples, and spoon into pie crust.  Bake pie 15 min at 400 degrees F, lower temperature to 350 degrees F, and bake 30 min more (if crust is browning too much cover with foil lightly).  Remove pie from oven.  ***During this bake time combine 2/3 C flour, 2/3 C sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, and 6 Tbsp butter with fork or hands until resembles crumbs. Place back in fridge**** Once you remove pie from oven, take crumb mixture out of fridge and sprinkle crumb mixture over pie.  Return to oven until browned on top and pie filling is bubbling.  I think I cooked it for about 15 minutes more.  Allow to cool before putting in fridge and chill fully.  I read in several reviews this is not a pie you want to serve warm.  If you are making this for a specific dinner/event, I would make it the day before.  Make sure to refrigerate the pie for storage.



No comments: