Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Chili hold the tomatoes

Sometimes I like my chili with a tomato based sauce, and sometimes not....there is a tiny bit of marinara in this recipe for taste, but overall it is more of a beefy man chili....nice and spicy....although the spice mellowed a bit the second day.  I actually remembered to write everything out this time.  This makes a lot of chili...I am guestimating about 8-10 servings if you serve it over rice or pasta.  I like serving mine over elbow pasta.  I used beef, but you could easily sub ground turkey...I would not use the super lean turkey just because of the long cook time, the meat needs a little fat so it does not dry out.

Chili hold the tomatoes

3 Tbsp olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, minced (3 was enough for me...only use 4 if you like it super garlicky)
1 sweet onion, chopped fine
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
2 Jalepenos chopped (I used the seeds)
2.25 lbs 90% lean ground beef
2 (15oz) cans of pink beans (what I prefer, use what beans you like), rinsed and drained
1 pkg Goya sazon
3/4 tsp ground oregano
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 bay leaves
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp coriander
2-3 tsp cayenne...I used 2 and it was pretty spicy
salt to taste
hot sauce to taste
few dashes worcestershire sauce
4 c beef broth
1/2 a bottle of beer (drink the other half while you make the chili)
1/3 c marinara sauce
1 Tbsp butter
1 heaping Tbsp flour

Cook beef over med high in large stockpot with 1 Tbsp olive oil until cooked through.  In a saute pan saute onion, bell pepper, jalepenos, garlic in 2 Tbsp Olive oil over medium, until cooked through and onions are translucent....about 5-7 min.  add vegetables to beef.  Add remaining ingredients to stockpot except for butter and flour.  Bring to a boil, lower temperature and simmer for about 20 minutes uncovered.  During the last 5 minutes melt butter over medium in a small pan, add flour and whisk to combine, cook about 2 min until flour smell is gone.....you are making a roux....it is fancy.....add about a cup of liquid from chili and whisk constantly until mixture is thickened (whisking is important if you don't want flour lumps).  Add mixture back to chili and mix well.  At this point I like to transfer to a crockpot.....I HIGHLY recommend using a crockpot liner anytime you cook with the crockpot....Reynolds makes them and they are great!  Transfer to crockpot and set timer for 3 hours on low.  I used my immersion blender and pureed it a tiny bit to thicken.  Tada!  I garnished with cheddar jack and sour cream and chives....I like serving it over cooked elbow pasta, but you can do rice also.  This chili freezes very well.  Enjoy!!!

No comments: