Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Not Yo Mama's Cheesy Broccoli Casserole

So I bought the world's biggest bag of frozen broccoli at Costco last week and have been eating it steamed all week, I wanted something different, but any casserole similar to the classic green bean casserole makes me want to barf. So I made up my own. It is kind of like Macaroni and cheese minus the macaroni and add broccoli.

Not Yo Mama's Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
approximately 5 cups of frozen broccoli florets
1 T Butter
1 heaping T flour
1 1/4 C skim milk
1 oz velveeta, cubed
2 oz low fat mexican cheese blend, shredded (plus another 1/2 cup for sprinkling on top
4 oz Sharp cheddar, shredded
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil broccoli in salted water for about 8 minutes (10 if you like it softer). Drain, pat dry and set aside (you can do this while you are making the sauce, just make sure you pat dry a little because in mine I did not and in some spots there was some water.) Melt butter over med heat, then add flour and whisk, allow roux to cook until golden and no longer smelling like flour. Add milk slowly, whisking the entire time. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until it coats the back of a spoon. Take off the heat and add cheeses while whisking. Whisk until melted and smooth. Taste and add salt. Put broccoli (cooked) in casserole dish and pour cheese sauce over it and mix. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 C low fat cheese over top. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes covered and 5 minutes uncovered. Yummy! ***I'll post pictures when I find my camera cord.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

best home teeth whitener

This sounds great!! And best of all it isn't my sister's broccoli cheese casserole. The girl uses velveeta, that is so wrong.