Search This Blog

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Beer Braised Corned Beef and roasted red potatoes


This recipe was my first time making Corned Beef and the only recipe Ill ever use, so tender and tasty! I found this recipe on http://www.foodtv.com/ (the food network). The orignal had carrots (I hate cooked carrots) and put the carrots and potatoes in the pan with the beer and whiskey. I roasted the potatoes separately. I made a few other changes (in parentheses). Here is the orig. recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_34599,00.html


Beer Braised Corned Beef and Roasted Red Potatoes

1 (3lb) corned beef brisket (I used Nathans)
4 garlic cloves (I used 5tsp garlic paste and rubbed it on)
2 large shallots ( I used 1 sweet onion peeled and quartered)
2 T pickling spice (came with the brisket)
2 tsp caraway seeds (left them out)
2 (12oz) bottles beer (not light---I used Bass Ale)
1/2 C Irish Whiskey (I used Jamesons)
6 red potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
4 sprigs fresh dill (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. I rinse the corned beef because the blood grosses me out. Put the corned beef in a large roasting pan, rub with garlic paste, add onions, pickling spice, beer and whiskey. Cover and place in the oven. Braise 3 hours, turning the meat once. At the end of the three hours, mix the potatoes with some olive oil, salt and pepper (and fave spices), and place in separate roasting pan and place in oven with the meat for another 2 hours. I turned up the heat to 300 degrees for the last hour. Remove meat, check temp,aAllow juices to redistribute for about 5 min before slicing. Serve with Guinness mustard (see my blog for recipe under sauces)The potatoes needed about 10 more min at 450 degrees after meat was done and taken out of the oven.

No comments: