Search This Blog

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Southwestern Turkey Cheddar Burger

I got this recipe from Cooking Light, August 2007 issue. These were so great and so moist and flavorful I will never buy plain turkey burgers again! If you like spicy, I would add a lot more cayenne, these were not spicy at all to me. These freeze really well. Next time I am going to put Jalepenos inside and perhaps a little cheese inside the patty. You know how I never follow a recipe. Enjoy! Leave comments!!

Cooking Light Southwestern Turkey Cheddar Burger


3/4 C finely chopped Maui or other sweet onion
1/3 C wheat germ
1 and 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne---I would use at least 1/2 tsp if you like it spicy, maybe more)
1 and 1/2 lbs ground turkey breast
sliced extrasharp cheddar (I used sliced jalepeno cheddar, but pepper jack would be good too)
I used sandwich sized english muffins


Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions (this recipe made very big burgers, next time I would make about 8--use your judgement--they do not cook down much). Shape them into 1/2 inch patties.


You can either grill them (we dont have a grill) or cook them in the pan until done. In the pan it is about 6 min each size for the large burgers (6 servings). Place your preferred cheese on top and place on toasted roll or english muffin. These were so good. I made onion rings and placed one on each burger. Yummy! 395 calories a piece (that was with kaiser roll and cheddar, if you use low fat cheese and english muffin they are lower cal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried your recipe last night and it was amazing. I couldn't find the Ancho chilli powder, so I tried a southwest garlic and bell pepper season instead and it was great. I also added the shredded ched. cheese into the burgers to give it that extra cheese. But thanks again for making my turkey burgers a hit with everyone!!