Search This Blog

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Irish Soda Bread

I have never made this before and now will never BUY Irish Soda Bread again! This recipe is too good and too easy!!!! This was the most moist, flaky soda bread Ive ever eaten. I got the original recipe from http://www.allrecipes.com/, it was simply called Irish Soda Bread (by Carol Fritz). The only change I made was I added currants and I cooked it for longer than it said (I put my cooking time in here). I also liked this recipe because I hate when soda bread has caraway seeds in it and this one does not. Enjoy, let me know if you like it!


Irish Soda Bread
Ingredients:
4 C all purpose flour
1 T sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c cold butter
1 C golden raisins
3/4 C-1 C currants
1 and 3/4 C low fat buttermilk

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add raisins and currants. Stir in buttermilk until just moistened. Turn into a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. It is very sticky.

Place on an ungreased baking sheet; pat into a round (I did oblong) loaf. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1 inch cross about 1/4 inch deep on top of the loaf. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45-50 min (I did 50), or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

No comments: